Traders Joes Red Quinoa is a ingredient for meatless Tacos! With leftovers for 3 more meals!
Tacos are a real staple in our house. This is one of my ways to make them. This Red Quinoa package is very simple and easy to bring in some flavor to. I didn’t use a recipe but added as I went with an idea of an Italian twist. (OK – Tacos aren’t Italian – but Italian & Mexican are my favorite foods!) And Boy Did It Work!
Trader Joe’s Organic Red Quinoa
2 Cups Vegetable Broth
2 Fresh Corn Cobs, kernels cut off (this bring a sweetness to the mix)
1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped fine for mix
1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped large for garnish
4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 tbsp. Cumin
2 tbsp. Oregano
3 tbsp. Chili powder
3 tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 Cup Romaine, julienne sliced
1 Cup Red Cabbage, julienne sliced very thin
2 Avocados, sliced length-wise
10 Corn Tortillas, warmed till starting to stiffen slightly
Optional: Pinch of Cotija Cheese per Taco (very strong – only a pinch)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the Red Quinoa will be cooked as directed, however add the corn as well. I substitute Vegetable Broth for Water when preparing to boil it.
- In the last 5 minutes of the Red Quinoa boil, add the 1/4 cup Cilantro, Cumin, Oregano, Chili powder, Sea Salt, Nutritional Yeast and 2 tbsp. Olive Oil.
- Stir well and finish the boil.
- At end of boil, check the moisture content of the mix. It should be very moist not dry. Stir in 1 tbsp. of Olive Oil and mix well
- Evenly spread mix over a cookie sheet pan (optional – I like to put a sheet of parchment paper over the pan first).
- Bake for 25 minutes turning /tossing once at 10 minutes. It will smell great and start to get a toasty-ness.
- Place enough of the mixture out for Tacos now. Place the rest in containers for later – it keeps very well in the refrigerator.
- Warm the Corn Tortillas and assemble Tacos.
Mix it up – add whatever you have on hand! Flavor it differently. As long as there is no Beef, Pork or Chicken in this, it’s very healthy! I occasionally serve it in Tortilla bowls and throw some Black Beans over it too.